Monday, March 18, 2019

Details are not just details. They make the design (and the movie!) How not consulting an expert can lead to dilution of your brand. NETFLIX included.

We all love NETFLIX. If we didn't, it wouldn't be one of the best-performing stocks out there. The reason for their success? Their prolific content creation, their near flawless delivery, and above all, their great value for money.
I love NETFLIX as much as the other guy. So this is why I had to write this. I had to set the record straight if you will.
The other night I started watching a new show called UNSOLVED, exploring the story behind two legendary rappers, and their murders back in the late nineties. We all know them,  The Notorious B-I-G and Tupak Shakur. I remember I used to listen to them both, especially "Biggie Smalls," which  still sounds as good today, as he did almost 25 years ago.  And since I live in Los Angeles, I also remember vividly the story dominating the local news and the unforgettable footage taken outside the PETERSEN Museum where Christopher Wallace, aka Notorious B-I-G was shot.
In one scene of the movie, (at the 51.49 reverse clock counter to be exact), we see two cars going under a tunnel seen below. It clearly says 1997.




12 seconds later we see the scene continue below.  (I assume we are still in 1997).  Do you notice anything wrong with this picture? Notice the CHEVRON gas station sign?



Well, you see, the version of that specific Chevron logo was not introduced until 2005. Below is the actual correct time period logo that should have been featured in the movie. 




It already feels so much more authentic, doesn't it?   

Now, am I being petty or just being observant? 
This is how I see it: If you are going to feature an almost stand alone shot with a ubiquitous company logo, like CHEVRON's, and feature it for about 1-2 seconds you better get it right. Or edit it out. Or tighten the shot.  If you are going to keep it real, keep it real.
Or, you will have guys like me, writing blogs like this. 

I have not finished watching the complete series yet. I can't wait to see what other nuggets I will find. One reason we enjoy watching shows and movies set in the past is to be transported in time, with period correct details, including cars, fashions and signage, billboards included - you see they went the extra mile with the Boogie Nights billboard below...right?

One more detail that popped up was the CALIFORNIA license plates featured in the movie. The specific script one (featured prominently in the movie as seen on the Ford Bronco in the same scene below),  was not introduced until 1998 for the upcoming celebration of the 150 years of the founding of the state of California (founded 1850).







I am a stickler for design and details. 
Like my favorite furniture designer once said,  "Details are not the details, they make the design." It seems, they can also make the movie too. 

Christos Joannides is founder and Creative Director of Flat 6 Concepts, a luxury branding and marketing agency in Los Angeles. In his free time, he enjoys watching Netflix and writing about design, details or lack thereof.

No comments: