Friday, April 11, 2014

Timeless Elegance is just a stripe away

I remember distinctly my first Breton shirt.
I remember the first time I wore it, I felt so fashionable and so bold!
I was also 17 and the year was 1989.
If I bought the same exact one today, I would still feel as fashionable and as bold. (But not as brave).
The actual striped design originated back in the mid 1800s and eventually became the official uniform of the French navy. The original one had 21 stripes, signifying each of Napoleon's victories. Coco Chanel was seen wearing it and Picasso was photographed wearing one in France where he lived. Ever since then, it has become a staple in wardrobes the world over - leave it to the French to inspire a generation of fashion with a simple design.
But I digress.

I have always been intrigued by stripes. Stripes whether straight or jagged, thin or thick, duo or multicolored, can be so avant-garde, so cutting edge, so modern, so conservative and so classic all at the same time. I believe that no other decorative motif can claim to possess all these aforementioned qualities.  
So to prove my point,  I have decided to highlight some of them that pass the litmus test.




Pablo Picasso in his very own Breton shirt in 1952






Henri Bendel was the first person to brand his name. The legendary brown and white stripes were introduced in 1907 and have not changed since.  







Josef Hoffmann Series B drinking set by Lobmeyr 1914. Hard to believe that this set was designed and hand etched 100 years ago. 






Quite possibly the most recognized three stripes ever. Unchanged and unapologetic since 1949.






The Gucci Stripe made its debut in the
1950s and has since been a staple on the brand's luxury goods.







The original jagged Missoni Stripe was introduced almost 60 years ago.








One of my favorite abstract artists. Ellsworth Kelly - "Dominican" 1952.








Daniel Buren, the master of perfectly aligned stripes, 8.75cm to be exact - 1969.








B&B Italia are known for their understated, earthy color palette but this version of their iconic design is my favorite. The UP 5 chair and UP 6 ottoman, designed in 1969.  







One of the most memorable and arguably timeless logo designs of all time.
The IBM 8 bar variation logo designed by Paul Rand in 1972.
       








Mr Cool himself wearing a bespoke, classic pinstriped suit circa 1970s





Stripes of the two colored variety are classic and basic and I love that, but then there is Paul Smith. His numerous, multicolored stripes placed side by side are simply the epitome of sophisticated, whimsical elegance.







Paul Smith stripes are still my favorite. Although not as old as the other entries, I have a feeling they will still look good in many years to come.  Fine china by Paul Smith designed for Thomas Goode








Vinyl tape never looked so good. British Pop artist Jim Lambie, at one of his installations at the Museum of Contemporary Art  in Sydney, 1999.  It's worth noting that all the tape he uses is standard, colored tape from 3M you can buy from any hardware store.







     

I practice what I preach. (Well most of the time).  
Branding we did for a client here in Los Angeles and some of my very own stripes.





So the next time you are in a design conundrum, I would suggest maybe adding a few stripes here and there and you never know - you may come up with something whimsical, sophisticated and elegant. One thing's for sure...




No comments: